Tuesday, August 2, 2016

My First Appearance

I am delighted to share with you some exciting and scary news that I have received today. First, the very exciting news is that on the night I went to the poetry reading last month, I sat down and composed my first ever poems. I just wrote three, and I submitted them to SpillWords.com where they have been selected to be published on September the first.

Continuing with the exciting news, I was invited to read these poems at an open mic event in my town of Hobbs, NM. On Saturday, August the sixth I will be reading my first three poems on stage at this event. This is also the scary news because I have horrible stage fright. However, when I began writing I realized that I might have to make public appearances to get the ball rolling for my career as an author.

My three poems have the following titles and meanings behind them.


  1. "Hatred Has No Home with Me:" In the years before the "Black Lives Matter" movement, and while there was still race and hate crime being performed, I wrote this on my Facebook status. As time as gone on, it has become more profound and in need of being addressed urgently. That the human race is the only race and that hatred takes more effort than love.
  2. "Naked for Climate Change:" This one started out as a joke. I was complaining about the heat and the corporations that contribute to the heaviest pollution would probably invest heavily in green energy if I bore my bare naked self at one of their corporate meeting rooms. Poems can use humor too, if it gets the point across. Which I hope that it does.
  3. "Trinity the Troublemaker:" The title of my children's book series. This girl, the character I have created, has brought a lot of joy into my writing. I love to think about the ways in her world of attacking complex problems with childhood simplicity. The poem will be rooted entirely in my first story of "Trinity and the Bully," but it will be a great plug for the series in general.
I'm looking forward to taking part in my first appearance at a public event. Even though I am scared of the stage, I don't tend to avoid much in the way of things that frighten me. I just try my very best to do better and overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment